Last updated on July 31st, 2021 at 12:07 pm
This vegan "chicken" salad is such an easy and fresh lunch option. Made with young jackfruit, chickpeas and a killer dressing, this classic salad made vegan is simple, quick and completely delicious. Make it for lunch today and pile it on bread, stuff it in a wrap or eat it straight from the bowl.
Call it crazy, or just chicken salad...
You might be asking, "if you're a vegan why are you making chicken sandwiches?" The answer is simple. I am vegan because I love animals. Not for my health or the environment although those things are great side effects of a plant-based diet. I am not vegan because I hate the taste of meat; truth be told I quite like it. So, I recreate the flavours without the animal.
My vegan shawarma, vegan reuben sandwich, vegan Wellington and vegan pot pie recipes were all created to re-create traditional meat flavours. This vegan chicken salad is my latest meaty but meatless recipe.
Things to Love About This Recipe
If you are after a verstile salad recipe you've come to the right place. This salad is:
- super versatile! It is great on bread, in a wrap or straight from the bowl
- packed with traditional chicken salad flavours that will have you thinking you're eating the real thing
- made with jackfruit not faux meat
- so easy to pull together
- abundant! You'll get 4 or 5 sandwiches from this one recipe.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Jackfruit: Canned young jackfruit is the perfect meat substitute here. You are going to need the canned variety in brine, not fresh jackfruit - it can be found in Asian grocers and many traditional supermarket chains.
Chickpeas: While I love chickpeas in this salad, you could swap them out for white beans. I always add beans for the protein and texture.
Yoghurt: I like to use yoghurt in the dressing to lighten it a little but if you don't have it, you could swap out the yoghurt portion for more mayo. I always use my vegan mayonnaise but store-bought is totally fine.
Celery, shallots and parsley: Don't skip these! These 3 ingredients - combined with the jackfruit texture - kind of trick the tongue in to believing you really are eating a traditional chicken salad. Trust me.
How Do You Make Vegan Chicken Salad?
You'll find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process with images to guide you.
Steps 1 & 2: Drain the young jackfruit and slice it thinly lengthways.
Step 3: Combine the sliced jackfruit in a bowl with the chickpeas, nutritional yeast, soy sauce and sugar and stir well. Heat a little oil in a large pan and add the jackfruit mixture. Cook for around 5-minutes, breaking the jackfruit up as you go. Remove from the heat to cool.
Step 4 & 5: Combine the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until creamy.
Step 6: Add the cooled jackfruit/chickpea mixture and stir well.
And that's it! On bread or in a bowl, this vegan chicken salad is just so tasty and easy to make. However, you serve it, it's the perfect little lunchtime nosh. Enjoy, x.
Stored in the fridge in a sealed container, the salad will last up to 4 days. Any longer and things get a big juicy and separated.
Totally. A few sliced red grapes and a smattering of walnuts is delicious.
You can swap the soy sauce for tamari for a gluten-free version. If you are making it in to a sandwich, just use gluten-free bread or wraps.
More jackfruit and chickpea recipes:
If you like this recipe, please check out my cookbook. Great Vegan Meals for the Carnivorous Family is full of simple, carnivore-approved family recipes.
Vegan Chicken Salad
For the "Chicken"
- 550 grams young canned jackfruit approx 2 x 565g cans, drained
- 250 grams / 1 and ½ cups cooked chickpeas 1 x 400g can drained
- 2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon neutral flavoured oil
For the Dressing
- 1 French shallot peeled and finely diced
- ¼ cup capers drained and chopped
- ¼ cup vegan yoghurt
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ½ cup celery finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
For the "Chicken"
- To prepare the jackfruit, drain the brine and thinly slice each triangle lengthways and pop the pieces in a large bowl. Add the chickpeas, nutritional yeast, soy sauce and sugar and stir well to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot add the jackfruit and chickpea mixture and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. While cooking, break up the jackfruit with a fork to resembled shredded chicken. Remove from the heat to cool.
For the Dressing
- To a large bowl add the French shallot, capers, yoghurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, parsley, and celery. Stir to combine well
- Add the cooled jackfruit/chickpea mixture and mix well to combine before seasoning with salt and pepper.