Last updated on October 20th, 2020 at 11:11 am
Ready in around 20-minutes, this 5-ingredient pumpkin lentil soup with ginger is a quick and delicious spiced bowl to warm the cockles. Perfect for lunch or dinner on a cool Autumn evening.
The school holidays are almost over and we are emerging from our vacation cocoon. I say cocoon but in truth we've got a husk thing going on. I am a creature of habit so the break always turns me all around and I bounce around the house with no direction for two weeks. Put an almost indefatigable 5-year old under the same roof and everything becomes a beautiful mess. If not for the pumpkin lentil soup we may not have eaten.
Pumpkin Lentil Soup in 5 Steps
If this is your first visit to my blog, welcome. My name is Amanda and I survive on super-simple-super-delicious-healthy-no-sweat meals. Especially mid-week. Think "one-pot pastas, walk-away curries and stews, and easy soups." Check out my 3-ingredient zucchini soup if 5 ingredients is two too many. Or, if you are looking for something a little exotic, try my Vegan Shawarma with Roasted Jackfruit recipe is a simple sheet-pan recipe.
Not that we don't indulge in fantastically simple non-healthy foods too - I'm looking at you The Best Classic Vegan Chocolate Cake. But for the most part I try to keep things healthy-ish and simple, like real simple. This 5-ingredient pumpkin lentil soup couldn't be simpler.
Pumpkin lentil soup in 5 steps? Here we go.
- Take your soup pot and sauté an onion over medium heat
- Throw in chopped pumpkin, dried red lentils, stock and grated fresh ginger,
- Step away.
- Step back.
- Blend up the soup and serve.
Besides its miraculous time-saving qualities this 5-ingredient pumpkin lentil soup with ginger has the to power to:
- reduce inflammation - thanks ginger!
- boost antioxidants (pumpkin)
- make skin happy (pumpkin)
- make tummies happy (lentils)
- stabilise blood sugar (lentils)
And best of all it's just a really delicious warming soup the whole family will love. With sweet golden pumpkin, earthy lentils and a hint of ginger it's a clean and wonderful bowl of goodness. Enjoy. x
If you love your dishes quick and delicious try my Vegan One-Pot Spaghetti with Olives & Lemon, or the Walk-Away Chickpea Tomato and Spinach Curry. My Swiss Chard Stew with Pimentón with Lentils is so easy to make and tastes like a weekend in Spain.
5-ingredient Pumpkin Lentil Soup with Ginger
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and finely sliced
- 400 grams cubed pumpkin around 4 cups | peeled and cut in to cubes
- ¾ cup red lentils 135 grams | washed and drained
- 1 litre/ 1 quart vegetable stock 4 cups
- 1 inch fresh ginger finely grated
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for three minutes or until soft.
- Add the chopped pumpkin, lentils and stock to the pot and stir before adding the finely grated ginger.
- Cook at a simmer for around 15 minutes or until the pumpkin and lentils are soft.
- Season with sea salt if required.
- Carefully blend the soup in a blender or with a stick blender until smooth to serve.