The poor old prune. A good source of iron, low in fat, high in antioxidants and fibre and it is dismissed as the embarrassing cousin of the sweet date. Prunes, or dried plums if you please, are delicious, juicy and a nice change from the super sweet date. Also, they are half the price. And let’s be honest, they will keep you regular. This vegan chocolate & prune slice is chocolatey and delicious; they won’t even know the prunes are in there.
Vegan Chocolate & Prune Slice
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbs melted coconut oil
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 3 tbs waterChocolate Layer
- 400 g pitted prunes
- 4 tbs good quality cocoa
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tbs waterTop
- desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
- Line a 8x8 slice pan with baking paper or parchment.
- Combine all base ingredients into a food processor and blitz until combined and the mix sticks together. Press the mix firmly and evenly in to the slice tray.
- Clean out processor and add all chocolate layer ingredients to the now clean bowl. Blitz until combined and spread evenly over base layer.
- The mix is sticky so I use a wet fork to wrestle it into submission. Sprinkle enough coconut to cover the slice all over.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. To toast the coconut top layer, pop the slice under the broiler for a minute or two to toast.
- Remove from oven and let the slice rest for 10 minutes for cutting to serve.