Last updated on February 27th, 2022 at 06:56 pm
For the days you need something sweet and you need it fast, these chocolate peanut butter oatmeal bars can be prepared in around 10-minutes, have only 4-ingredients plus there's no-baking required.
Breathe...the chocolate is on its way.
I don't "get" people who don't get peanut butter. What's not to get? It's like oxygen but with peanuts in it. But I already married him so what are you gonna do? I will just have to eat all the peanut butter and apple oats jar myself. I'll survive.
If I were trendy I would call this the ultimate minimalist square. But I am not trendy, I am a forty-something author and food blogger living on top of a mountain. I sometimes wear socks with my vegan Birkenstocks. In public.
However, the minimalist tag is very appropriate here. Four ingredients and no baking = pretty darn minimal. It the sweet version of my 3-ingredient zucchini soup but way less grown up.
What You'll Need
The ingredients for this sweet treat will most likely be living in your pantry. All you need is;
- rolled oats
- peanut butter
- maple syrup
- vegan chocolate
You could make your own chocolate - the chocolate in my vanilla fudge chocolate eggs will do the trick -but if like me, you are impatient, store-bought chocolate is fine. It's more than fine. It's downright awesome.
Another neat thing about this recipe is that if you can't do peanut butter, it works with almond butter too. Swap out the peanut butter for almond butter and add a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Presto, nut butter and chocolate squares.
Whichever you use, these fantastically fuss-free squares are deliciously chewy, chocolatey and completely addictive. When life feels anything but minimal, these little guys are a simple reminder that less is usually so much more. Enjoy, x.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- 8-inch square baking
Peanut Butter Oat Slice
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats gluten-free if required
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup vegan chocolate buds
- 3 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
For the Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- Line an 8x8 inch square tin with grease-proof paper.
- Add the peanut butter and maple syrup to a medium saucepan and stir together over medium heat until combined.
- Add the rolled oats and stir through so the oats are completely coated and combined.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to the lined brownie tin and press down to get it as level as you can. Set aside.
For the Chocolate Topping
- In a microwave or over a double boiler, melt the vegan chocolate and peanut butter together, stirring occasionally to combine. Pour the melted chocolate over the oat mixture and use a spatula or the back of a spoon to level out.
- Allow the slice and chocolate to cool before popping it into the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Slice in to bars or squares to serve.