After posting my best ever classic vegan chocolate cake I thought I’d jump right in and follow with a quick recipe for a basic vegan chocolate frosting. This frosting is super quick to make and is just the right balance of sweet to chocolate.
Like the cake recipe, this is a classic vegan chocolate frosting recipe. It’s not healthy and isn’t intended to be. If you’d like to make a healthier frosting try my avocado chocolate frosting. I also love this healthy chocolate frosting made with sweet potato from the Michelle at Sunkissed Kitchen.
This one however is just a classic frosting. It’s a cross between a buttercream frosting and icing. I find most buttercream frosting too much; I don’t enjoy the buttery tongue coating situation that occurs so this is pretty much buttercream with only a little butter. Vegan butter that is. I use Nuttelex – an Australian brand – but you can use whichever vegan butter spread you like. The more butter you add, the softer the frosting will be. Less butter and you are leaning towards a more icing-style topping.
I use this vegan chocolate frosting on pretty much any cake that will stand still – I use it on my simple vanilla cupcakes and even my pumpkin cupcakes. Chocolate and pumpkin work – I don’t question the alchemy.
So, there you have it. A quickie post for a quick and simple vegan chocolate frosting. Keep it in your back pocket for special occasions or you, know….a Monday.
BASIC VEGAN CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 3 cups icing sugar confectioner's sugar
- 3 - 4 tbsp softened vegan butter spread
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder heaped tablespoons
- pinch fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp dairy-free milk + more to desired consistency
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the icing sugar, vegan butter, cocoa and sea salt to a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand-held beater set to low, beat the ingredients together on a low until combined to a rough sand consistency.
- Add the dairy-free milk and vanilla and beat until well-combined and fluffy. Add a touch more milk if needed.
- Use immediately or cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. If refrigerating, give the frosting a quick stir before use.