Last updated on November 8th, 2022 at 07:09 am
After posting The Best Classic Vegan Chocolate Cake I thought I'd jump right in and follow with a quick recipe for a basic vegan chocolate frosting. This frosting is super quick to make and is just the right balance of sweet to chocolate.
Like the cake recipe, this is a classic vegan chocolate frosting recipe. It's not healthy and isn't intended to be. If you'd like to make a healthier frosting try my Wicked Vegan Chocolate Beetroot Cakes (GF) - they have a wonderful avocado chocolate frosting. I also love this healthy chocolate frosting made with sweet potato from the Michelle at Sunkissed Kitchen.
This one however is just a classic frosting. It's a cross between a buttercream frosting and icing. I find most buttercream frosting too much; I don't enjoy the buttery tongue coating situation that occurs so this is pretty much buttercream with only a little butter. Vegan butter that is. I use Nuttelex - an Australian brand - but you can use whichever vegan butter spread you like. The more butter you add, the softer the frosting will be. Less butter and you are leaning towards a more icing-style topping.
I use this vegan chocolate frosting on pretty much any cake that will stand still - I use it on my Simple Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes and even my Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes. Chocolate and pumpkin work - I don't question the alchemy.
So, there you have it. A quickie post for a quick and simple frosting. Keep it in your back pocket for special occasions or you, know....a Monday.
Basic Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 2½ cups / 400g icing sugar confectioner's sugar, sifted
- ¾ cup /200g softened vegan butter spread
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder sifted
- pinch fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp / 60ml dairy-free milk + more to desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the icing sugar, vegan butter, cocoa and sea salt to a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand-held beater set to low, beat the ingredients together on a low until combined to a rough sand consistency.
- Add the dairy-free milk and vanilla and beat until well-combined and fluffy. Add a touch more milk if needed.
- Use immediately or cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. If refrigerating, give the frosting a quick stir before use.