With plump blueberries, nut butter, cinnamon, coconut milk and frozen cauliflower this blueberry pie smoothie makes getting the kids to eat veggies easy as pie.
My 5 year-old daughter told me vegetables are boring and she isn’t going to eat them any more. Fun fact: my kid truly believes not eating vegetables is an option because she said it out loud. Her confidence is endearing, truly. Of course it’s is never going to happen but I am happy to play ball and try to make vegetables as fun and interesting as I can.
Enter the Blueberry Pie Smoothie. Full of good things this smoothie bowl is a gorgeous and creamy textured mouthful, perfect for little people. And seriously, LOOK at that colour! Who wouldn’t want to bury their face in it?
Smoothies make healthy eating so easy. One trip to the grocery store, five minutes with your blender and you can work a bowl full of goodness in to your life. While this blueberry pie smoothie bowl is on the sweeter side it is PACKED with good things.
- Blueberries | antioxidants
- Banana | potassium
- Almond Butter | protein
- Dates | fibre
- Cauliflower | fibre
- Coconut Milk | good fat (in moderation)
I promise you can’t taste the cauliflower and while I added a scant cup, I think you could go harder and add a little more without the small people noticing. As it’s frozen it just adds to creaminess of the overall smoothie. I sneak vegetables in to our food all the time – my pumpkin doughnuts are full of pumpkin AND carrots and sweet potato while my breakfast muffins are made from apple, zucchini and sweet potato. Sometimes you just have to get crafty.
While this blueberry pie smoothie has my heart – seriously, it’s a smoothie that tastes like pie made with cauliflower – you can create even simpler smoothie recipes to sneak in all those good vegetables and still taste amazing. I love these 8 Healthy Smoothies Made with 3-ingredients from Buzzfeed Food. 3-Ingredients! You’ll have to veganise some of them but you got this.
So to my daughter I say this…challenge accepted small person. Challenge accepted.
LOVELY BLUEBERRY PIE SMOOTHIE BOWL
- 1/4 cup coconut milk full-fat
- 1 cup frozen blueberries around 130 grams
- 1 frozen banana peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower a scant cup | 80 grams
- 3-4 medjool dates pitted and soaked (if needed)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- water around 1/2 cup to help with blending
- Add the coconut milk and a little water to your blender first and add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add a touch more water if your blender is struggling.
- Pour the smoothie in to 2 small bowls or glasses
- Add your favoruite fruits, nuts, seeds or granola to serve