Last updated on January 27th, 2020 at 01:52 am
With an exotic hint of cinnamon, cayenne pepper and sea salt, this Mexican Chocolate Chia Pudding is a perfect healthy breakfast indulgence or anytime treat. Made with whole ingredients and no added sugar, this gorgeous chocolate bowl is wickedly good, in every way.
Chia puddings have been on trend for a while now and for good reason. They are super simple to make, require no cooking AND are filled with the goodness of chia seeds.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF CHIA SEEDS?
Chia seeds are a considered a superfood because they are loaded with nutrients and offer health benefits. Some of those benefits include:
- They are high in antioxidants essential to a healthy diet
- Chia seeds are largely made up of fibre. In fact, almost all the carbs in chia seeds are fibre. Interestingly, if you subtract the fibre — most of which doesn’t end up as usable calories for your body — chia seeds only contain 101 calories per ounce (28 grams).
- Chia seeds are a good source of high quality protein to help you feel fuller for longer. They contain all 9 essential amino acids making them a complete protein. These acids cannot be made by the body.
- They are high good fats, like omega 3 fatty acids. Chia seeds are the richest plant source of omega-3 fatty acids!
Two tablespoons of chia seeds (28 grams) contain around 140 calories, 4 grams of protein, 11 grams of fiber, 7 grams of unsaturated fat, 18% RDA for calcium, and trace minerals including zinc and copper.
Source: Harvard School Of Public Health
Healthline : 11 Proven Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
HOW TO MAKE A CHOCOLATE CHIA PUDDING
Honestly, making this chocolate chia pudding is child’s play. In 3 easy steps this decadent but healthy bowl is ready for breakfast.
- Blend the ingredients, except the chia seeds, in a blender.
- Add the chia seeds and pulse to break them up a little
- Pour the pudding in to jars or bowls and refrigerate for a few hours before serving with fresh fruit and dark chocolate shavings.
You may be wondering why I blend the chia seeds. It’s all about the texture, baby. Pulsing the seeds with the other ingredients breaks them down a little making the finished pudding smoother and creamier.
THIS MEXICAN-INSPIRED CHOCOLATE CHIA PUDDING IS DOWNRIGHT HEALTHY
This Mexican Inspired Chocolate Chia Pudding celebrates all the wonderful flavours of a Mexican style hot chocolate. Rich, creamy chocolate pudding, laced with a hint of cinnamon and a little cayenne heat, is brought to life with a pinch of sea salt and the smallest hit of coffee. Sweetened with banana and dates, this dreamy, decadent bowl is actually, dare I say, healthy. But, more importantly it’s chocolate and it’s delicious.
Delicious is good. Enjoy.
MORE SIMPLE BREAKFAST RECIPES!
Mexican Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 1 and 1/2 dairy-free milk almond or soy
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 medjool dates pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly made black coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a small pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- a good pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon mesquite powder optional
- Place all the ingredients, except the chia seeds, in a blender and blend until smooth
- Add the chia seeds and pulse three or four times
- Pour the mixture in to either two bowls or three glasses.
- Cover with foil and place in the fridge to set overnight or for at least four hours.
- Serve with your choice of fresh fruit, dark chocolate shavings, granola or buckinis. For added indulgence, serve with whipped vanilla coconut cream.