Last updated on November 2nd, 2018 at 02:52 am
I am a little obsessed with this Completely Seeded Pumpkin Toast. Based on Sarah Britton’s life-changing recipe, this nut-free version also contains a little sneaky pumpkin because, well, I’m a Mum with a fussy kid. Sneaky is my middle name.
I wish I could lay claim to this genius bread but it was introduced by Holistic Nutritionist and all-around awesome blogger Sarah from My New Roots. A few years ago Sarah posted the Life Changing Loaf of Bread and it turns out it is a little life-changing. I am an openly content non-breakfast eater, coffee is my morning master, but this bread in all its wonderful simplicity has me reaching for the toaster before I’ve finished my first jar of brew.
My seeded pumpkin toast is a twist on the original recipe being nut-free and I’ve toasted the seeds and buckwheat to really bring out the flavours of those delicious elements. I’ve also added pumpkin and a touch of onion powder for texture and flavour. I am a firm believer in sneaking in vegetables wherever they can be snuck. The Elf is yet to outgrow her fussy stage – I totally thought she’d be over this by now – and is currently exploring a diet where she only eats white food and occasionally tan. So, while I have snuck in a vegetable here, it didn’t hit its intended target. She took one look at the seeds and walked away. However, every adult that’s tried this has loved it. So, while my daughter works on her scurvy, us adults are feeling great.
I devour this toast, and I do mean devour, twice toasted (I love to really toast the seeds) with a good smear of chutney and a slice of vegan cheese. I love it with avocado too. If I’m not careful, this bread will make a morning person out of me.
If it being delicious wasn’t reason enough to make this seeded loaf, the no-kneading, no temperamental flours or techniques clinches it for me. This bread doesn’t rise, it doesn’t grow, it has no leavening agents; its size is purely from the bulk of the ingredients. Mix, sit, bake, cool. Done.
NB: For a gluten-free version, simply use gluten-free oats.
Completely Seeded Vegan Pumpkin Toast Recipe
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds 125 grams
- 1/2 cup pepitas 90 grams
- 1/2 cup flaxseed or linseeds 60 grams
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats 75 grams
- 4 tbs psylliam husks
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin 175 grams
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 2 cups cups gluten-free rolled oats 225 grams
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted (60ml)
- 2 1/2 cups water 590 ml
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the sunflower seeds, pepitas, flaxseeds and buckwheat groats out.
- Bake the seeds in the oven for fifteen minutes or until nicely toasted.
- Combine the psylliam husks, mashed pumpkin, maple syrup, oats, salt, onion powder and coconut oil in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooled toasted seeds and fold through. Add the water and stir well.
- Pour the mixture in to a large, lined bread pan and sit covered for at least two hours and up to 24 hours.
- To bake, pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F) and place the loaf in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for one hour and fifteen minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.