Last updated on July 18th, 2020 at 03:28 pm
Fresh and zingy with the goodness of sweet potato, chickpeas, avocado and tahini, these Zesty Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are super healthy and so, so delicious.
Sweet potatoes are a great all-rounder. Growing up we never ate them - we were starchy white potato people, thanks very much - but these days sweet potatoes are on regular rotation. I use them to make my Simple Sweet Potato Toast Recipes. I even use them to turbo charge my sweet tooth in an Easy Sweet Potato Chocolate Fudge Squares. Is there nothing the sweet potato can do?
Long story short; sweet potatoes are fantastically versatile and excellent for you. They are a wonderful source of the antioxidant beta carotene (like carrots!), are high in fibre and are a good source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C aids in iron absorption - a good nugget us vegans should remember.
Source: Medical News Today
Besides all that, sweet potatoes are de-licious. These chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes are delicious x 10. Hand on my heart, I could eat this dish for days. It's perfect for a quick and nourishing meal and all those zingy flavours will make your tastebuds sing. Let's do it.
First we take a lovely golden potato and roast it in it's skin until it's soft and creamy inside.
Next we take chickpeas and take them for a dip in a fresh and herby bath. We'll add ripe tomatoes for texture and punch. Finally, a creamy avocado and tahini sauce dollop brings the whole thing together.
The awesome thing is that all these elements will come together while the potatoes are roasting.
How to Make Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F) and line a roasting tray with baking paper.
- Using a fork, pierce holes in to each of the potatoes several times
- Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until the skin looks puckered and the inside is soft.
While the potatoes are roasting combine the chickpea ingredients in a bowl, give them quick stir and set aside (Images 2 - 4).
Whip out the blender and throw all the avocado-tahini sauce ingredients in. Blend until smooth. Done. (Image 5)
To finish, slice the perfectly cooked sweet potatoes (Image 6), spoon in the chickpea mix (Image 7) and finish with a dollop of that gorgeous sauce as big as your head (Image 8).
And voila. Zesty chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes - enough to serve 4 - 6 people - in around 50 minutes. I do love it when things comes together so fuss-free. Whether cooking for one of for a bunch of hungry mouths, this is a wonderfully nutritious and tasty, quick meal to have on your rotation. Enjoy, x.
I don't have fresh herbs. Can I use dried?
You can. Dried herbs are more potent so a general rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for every tablespoon of fresh herbs. Here you'd use 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and 1 teaspoon of dried dill.
How long with these stuffed sweet potatoes keep in the fridge?
If I refrigerate these, I keep the elements separate. They will keep for up to 3 days but the avocado-tahini will brown. Avocado oxidises quickly and becomes a little bitter.
Zesty Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes small - medium size
For the Chickpeas
- 200 grams cooked chickpeas 1 x 13.5oz can, drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice keep the lemon for the avocado-tahini sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- pinch sea salt
- cracked pepper
For the Avocado Tahini Sauce
- 1 avocado small
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsely
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds optional
To Prepare the Sweet Potaotes
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a roasting tray with baking paper. Prick several holes over the sweet potatoes with a fork. Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for 45-minutes to 1 hour, depending on their size.
To Prepare the Chickpeas
- Combine chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, dill, cumin, paprika, tomatoes, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
To Prepare the Avocado Tahini Sauce
- Add the avocado, tahini, water, garlic, parsley, lemon juice and sea salt to a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust salt and lemon juice to taste. Transfer to a bowl.
To Assemble the Herbed Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potaoes
- When the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for 5-minutes. Once cool enough to handle, cut a slit lengthways down each potato and spoon a few tablespoons of the herbed chickpeas inside. Dollop a good spoon of the avocado-tahini dressing on top and finish with freshly chopped dill, sea salt and hemp seeds.