No, we're not stuffing a vegan into a sweet potato. These healthy and delicious sweet spuds are stuffed with protein rich spiced chickpeas and topped with a creamy avocado and tahini dollop. No vegans were harmed in the stuffing of these spuds.
If you are looking for an easy, healthy and totally satisfying lunch or dinner idea, you'll love these chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes. Fresh and zingy with the goodness of sweet potato, chickpeas, avocado and tahini this zesty dish is super healthy and so, so delicious.
Why We Love Sweet Potaotes
Sweet potatoes are a great all-rounder. Growing up we never ate them - we were starchy white potato people, thanks very much - but these days sweet potatoes are on regular rotation.
Long story short, sweet potatoes are fantastically versatile and excellent for you. They are a wonderful source of the antioxidant beta carotene (like carrots!), are high in fibre and are a good source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C aids in iron absorption - a good nugget us vegans should remember.
Source: Medical News Today
Besides all that, sweet potatoes are de-licious. These chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes are delicious x 10.
First we take a lovely golden potato and roast it in it's skin until it's soft and creamy inside.
Next we take chickpeas and take them for a dip in a fresh and herby bath. We'll add ripe tomatoes for texture and punch. Finally, a creamy avocado and tahini sauce dollop brings the whole thing together.
The awesome thing is that all these elements will come together while the potatoes are roasting.
How to Make Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
While the potatoes are roasting combine the chickpea ingredients in a bowl, give them quick stir and set aside (Images 2 - 4).
Whip out the blender and throw all the avocado-tahini sauce ingredients in. Blend until smooth. Done. (Image 5)
To finish, slice the perfectly cooked sweet potatoes (Image 6), spoon in the chickpea mix (Image 7) and finish with a dollop of that gorgeous sauce as big as your head (Image 8).
And voila. Zesty chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes - enough to serve 4 - 6 people - in around 50 minutes. I do love it when things comes together so fuss-free. Whether cooking for one of for a bunch of hungry mouths, this is a wonderfully nutritious and tasty, quick meal to have on your rotation. Enjoy, x.
I don't have fresh herbs. Can I use dried?
You can. Dried herbs are more potent so a general rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for every tablespoon of fresh herbs. Here you'd use 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and 1 teaspoon of dried dill.
How long with these stuffed sweet potatoes keep in the fridge?
If I refrigerate these, I keep the elements separate. They will keep for up to 3 days but the avocado-tahini will brown. Avocado oxidises quickly and becomes a little bitter.
Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes small - medium size
For the Chickpeas
- 200 grams cooked chickpeas 1 x 13.5oz can, drained
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice keep the lemon for the avocado-tahini sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- pinch sea salt
- cracked pepper
For the Avocado Tahini Sauce
- 1 avocado small
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsely
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds optional
To Prepare the Sweet Potaotes
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a roasting tray with baking paper. Prick several holes over the sweet potatoes with a fork. Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for 45-minutes to 1 hour, depending on their size.
To Prepare the Chickpeas
- Combine chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, dill, cumin, paprika, tomatoes, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
To Prepare the Avocado Tahini Sauce
- Add the avocado, tahini, water, garlic, parsley, lemon juice and sea salt to a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust salt and lemon juice to taste. Transfer to a bowl.
To Assemble the Herbed Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potaoes
- When the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for 5-minutes. Once cool enough to handle, cut a slit lengthways down each potato and spoon a few tablespoons of the herbed chickpeas inside. Dollop a good spoon of the avocado-tahini dressing on top and finish with freshly chopped dill, sea salt and hemp seeds.