Last updated on October 3rd, 2020 at 10:20 am
This vegan Black Forest Shake is decadent, naughty and all the things you want from a creamy cocktail. After a long day, this silky sip is the volume in your sigh as you fold in to your fattest armchair.
This recipe was originally published 23 May, 2106. It has been updated and the recipe adjusted.
I don't drink cocktails often. I think the last was in Nashville, New Year's Eve 2012 at a speakeasy while we were on holiday. That's not to say I'm a saint, I drink wine. Plenty of wine. I just haven't had a cocktail in a while. But some nights scream for something more, something that puts the TREAT in special treatment. I had the house to myself last week for the first time in over a year. If that's not cause for cartwheels I don't know what is. I ate what I wanted, had complete remote control and even went to the bathroom alone. What luxury!
It was the perfect opportunity to put up my feet and enjoy some me time. Me time with a side of boozy Black Forest shake.
Black Forest Shake Not Cake
A Black Forest cake is a famous German chocolate layer cake peppered with brandy soaked cherries and slathered with whipped cream. It's timeless, decadent and pretty delicious.
My vegan Black Forest shake takes those flavours, blends them up and pours them in to a tall glass. Yes, it's boozy and rich. No, it's not healthy but my goodness, it's good.
This shake with a kick comes together pretty quickly; the only time consuming thing being soaking the black cherries in Kirsch, a cherry brandy. If you don't have the time, skip this step and add the liqueur in with the other ingredients in the blender. The rest is simple.
- First pop half the soaked (or un-soaked) cherries in the bottom of a glass
- Blend a frozen banana, the remaining cherries, Kirsch, cocoa, dairy-free milk and ice-cream in the blender
- Pour the shake over the cherries and top with more ice-cream and shaved dark chocolate.
And you're done. A chilled chocolate and cherry shake laced with Kirsch and finished with vanilla ice-cream and shaved dark chocolate. Whaaaat?!
This Black Forest shake is a homage to the traditional dark cake but better; you don't have to bake it.
If you like this recipe, please check out my cookbook. Great Vegan Meals for the Carnivorous Family is full of simple, carnivore-approved family recipes.
Boozy Black Forest Shake
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup canned black cherries divided in to 2 portions
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 60 ml Kirsch cherry brandy
- 1 tbsp cocoa heaped
- ⅓ cup vanilla ice-cream dairy-free
- 1 tbsp dairy-free dark chocolate shaved or grated
- Place half the black cherries with juice in a bowl and add 30ml of Kirsch. Sit for at least an hour.
- In a blender add the frozen banana, the un-soaked cherries, almond milk, cocoa, dairy-free vanilla ice-cream and the remaining Kirsch and blend until smooth.
- To build the cocktail, place the soaked cherries and their liquid in the bottom of a glass or jar.
- Pour over the chocolate/cherry shake until the glass is almost full.
- Add another scoop of ice-cream (optional) and sprinkle with grated dark chocolate.
- Serve with a spoon and straw.