Oh, my goodness I do love a 1-pot meal. What’s not to love? Less dishes, less fuss, less stress…did I mention less dishes? This 1-Pot Creamy Tomato Vegan Pasta is a wonderfully simple and delicious addition to the weekday meals rotation.
I think I could live quite comfortably in a world where all meals were cooked in a single pot. I am not a fancy gal and we are not a fancy family. Hell, I fed my child chips for dinner…just chips. While it wasn’t a shining culinary moment, I am OK with it because weekdays are busy and coming up with weekday meals can be tricky. I could meal plan, I should meal plan but I do not meal plan. I will meal plan. Soon.
In lieu of strategy, I have a cupboard full of ingredients and a 1-pot mind. Pasta is probably the quickest and simplest 1-pot adventure you can try although buckwheat risottos and bowls deserve an honourable mention. Also, pasta is a pretty safe bet with the kids. This 1-pot creamy tomato vegan pasta is a pretty safe bet. I’ve done tests.
My 4 year-old daughter and I have a long-running tabletop cold war thing going on and have had for a few years now. I know I am not alone in the trenches and I know that some nights the battle to try new things is just…too hard. Add kindergarten/school, work, sports, social crap (hers not mine) and the days can get tricky and a might overwhelming. So, in light of all this, I hereby give myself permission to draw on my arsenal of quick weekday meals and instead of slaving in the kitchen, spend time with my kid. Instead of nagging her to eat her vegetables I’m going to play on the floor with her while we eat bowls of my 1-pot creamy tomato vegan pasta. My rug might not thank me but my daughter will.
WHY IS THIS 1-POT CREAMY TOMATO VEGAN PASTA SO GOOD?
Well, since you asked, this pasta is:
- creamy but dairy-free
- full of gorgeous robust tomato flavours
- ready in under 30-minutes
- made up of mostly pantry ingredients
- adaptable – we add kalamata olives but you could omit or substitute with sundried tomatoes or something you love
- full of baby spinach goodness but not too much as to scare the small natives and
- cooked in one pot.
One pot = less dishes. Enjoy.
1-Pot Creamy Tomato Vegan Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown (yellow) onion, finely diced
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano or basil
- pinch sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups dairy-free milk
- 250 grams egg-free rigatoni pasta
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 60 grams baby spinach, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted (optional) heaped
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a mid to large pot and add the chopped onion. Cook until soft, around 3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, cherry tomatoes, tomato paste and diced canned tomatoes with the dried oregano and cook for another minute.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and then stir in the stock and dairy-free milk. Add the dried pasta and pop a lid on the pot.
- Increase the heat and cook with the lid on until the mixture comes up to a boil. Remove the lid, reduce the heat back to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent sticking, before adding the olives, nutritional yeast and chopped spinach.
- Cook, stirring regularly, until the pasta is just al dente, around 5 minutes, stir in the parsley and remove the pot from the heat. Allow the pasta to sit for a a few minutes with the lid on so the sauce continues to thicken. Serve with vegan parmesan.