Last updated on September 28th, 2022 at 05:29 pm
A vegan pumpkin soup without coconut milk!
Meet my new soup obsession. This dairy-free pumpkin soup is deliciously creamy, simple to make and loaded with sweet pumpkin. Throw in some spices and this vegan bowl is packed with warming flavours and golden goodness.
Boy, I love soup. Whether it's a creamy zucchini soup, vegan mushroom soup or my pumpkin lentil soup with ginger, I just love the ease of soup. It's simple, nourishing and the perfect tonic for busy lives.
This dairy-free pumpkin soup is my daughter's absolute favourite thing for me to cook. She loves it and that's saying a lot because I don't mind telling you...the child is fussy. I sometimes feel like I am serving up dinner to one of the judges on Masterchef.
But this soup, she loves. We have it at least once a week and now you can too.
What We Love About This Vegan Soup
My daughter eats it! Even though it has pumpkin in it. Parent win.
To be fair, she loves my vegan pumpkin cupcakes too but she would never let regular old pumpkin cross her plate. Not a chance. So, I'm going to take this win and run.
This vegan pumpkin soup is so good. It's:
Super creamy and wonderful from the cashews
Really simple to make
Great for batch cooking.
What You'll Need | Ingredients
To make the creamiest vegan pumpkin soup of your life, you'll only need a handful of ingredients.
Pumpkin. You can use pretty much any type of eating pumpkin for this soup.
Cashews.Raw cashews make this soup irresistibly thick and creamy. Only use raw cashews not roasted. If you aren't able to eat nuts, I have included a recipe variation below in the FAQ's.
Spices. This pumpkin soup is full of warm flavours from the cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin and smoked paprika. We only use a touch so the flavours are gentle just adding notes in the background.
What is the Best Pumpkin For Pumpkin Soup?
Australia: Common types perfect for pumpkin soup include Jap/Kent, Queensland Blue, Jarradale or Butternut Pumpkin (that's butternut squash in the US)
Here in Australia I tend to use Jap/Kent variety but that's because it's handy to me. Any type of edible pumpkin or butternut pumpkin will work.
US: Sugar pumpkin or butternut squash is perfect here.
How to Make The Tastiest Vegan Pumpkin Soup
You'll find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Step 1: Heat the oil in a large soup pot or saucepan. Add the sliced onion and saute for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft.
Step 2: Add the spices and continue cooking for another minute.
Steps 3 and 4: After cooking for a minute, add the chopped pumpkin and cashews.
Steps 5 and 6: Stir to combine and add the vegetable stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low-medium and cook the soup at a simmer for around 15-minutes or until the cashews and pumpkin are soft.
Remove from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly. Carefully transfer it to a blender and blend until completely smooth or blend in the pot with an immersion blender.
Change up your roasted vegan pumpkin soup with these spice variations. Use these in place of the spices in the recipe.
- Add a half teaspoon of curry powder to the pot with the stock for a curried pumpkin soup
- Sauté a tablespoon (or more to taste) of red curry paste with the onions for Thai red curry pumpkin soup.
- Add a clove of minced garlic and a thumb (1-inch) of finely grated ginger to the onions just before adding the pumpkin and cashews for an aromatic pumpkin and ginger soup.
If you can't eat nuts, substitute them for a sweet potato (around 220g). Add a cleaned and cubed sweet potato with the pumpkin to the soup. To make the soup creamy add two-thirds of a cup of dairy-free cream such as Oatly.
To store your pumpkin soup, allow it to cool completely and store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Yup. After blending, allow the soup to cool completely and transfer it to a freezer-proof container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Want more pumpkin? Try these vegan pumpkin recipes.
Want more plant based-goodness?
Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- 1.3 kg pumpkin 2.9lb (unpeeled weight) peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow (brown) onion peeled and finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup raw cashews
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup water optional
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot or saucepan. Add the sliced onion and saute for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, smoked paprika and salt to the onions and stir through for a minute before adding the pumpkin cubes and the cashews.
- Pour in the stock and stir well.
- Bring the heat up to high to bring the soup to a boil before reducing it to low-medium. Cook the pumkin soup at a simmer for around 15-minutes or until the cashews are soft and break apart easily.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to it cool slightly before blending.
- Transfer the soup carefully to a blender and blend until think and creamy. Add a touch of water if you would like to thin the soup out. Taste and season if needed. It's ready to serve. Enjoy.