Easy Creole Jackfruit Burger
The vegan holy-grail that is jackfruit makes a wonderfully textured and very meaty substitute in this spicy Easy Creole Jackfruit Burger.
Creole Pulled Jackfruit Burger
- 2 x 565 gram cans young green jackfruit in brine
- 2 teaspoon 10grams paprika
- ½ teaspoon 2.5 grams sea salt
- 1 teaspoon 5 grams onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon 2.5 grams cayenne pepper (or more if you're game)
- 1 teaspoon 5 grams oregano
- 1 tablespoon 20 grams brown sugar
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 45 ml maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or crushed
- 1 Spanish onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon 40 ml Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon 20ml olive or vegetable oil.Pickled Apple and Fennel
- fennel bulb washed and finely sliced
- 200 ml white vinegar
- ¼ cup 60 grams raw castre sugar
- ¼ teaspoon 1.25 grams sea salt
- ½ teaspoon 2.5 grams mustard seedsBurger buns
- Rocket or baby spinach optional
- Vegan mayonnaise
To make the pickled fennel, place the sliced fennel in a bowl.
Bring the vinegar, salt, sugar and mustard seeds to a boil until the sugar has dissolved.
Pour the hot pickling brine over the fennel and set aside.
Drain and rinse the jackfruit pieces.
Cutting from the longest point of each piece, slice the lengthways in to thin strips.
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan or pot and sautée the Spanish onion and garlic for five minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano, onion powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
Add the spice mix to the onion and garlic and stir for a minute.
Add the jackfruit slices and toss to coat in the spices.
Add the stock and bring up to a simmer.
Cook for around 25 minutes, breaking the jackfruit up into "shreds" as you go, or until the stock is reduced down to a sauce.
Remove from the heat and add the dijon mustard, stirring through.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Slice open the burger buns and smear with a good dollop of vegan mayonnaise. Follow with a handful of rocket or baby spinach. Add a good spoon of pulled jackfruit followed by the pickled fennel to serve.