Spicy Eggplant Stir-fry with Enoki Mushrooms
This spicy eggplant stir fry looks like a noodle dish but those gorgeous silky strands are enoki mushrooms! Perfectly gluten-free and low in carbohydrates, this noodle-not-noodle stir-fry is vegan and shove-in-to-your-face delicious.
Servings 3 serves
- 350 grams eggplant, cut in to 1/2 inch thick wedges or diced I used baby striped eggplants
- 1-2 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 spring onions (shallots), finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked brown lentils
- 100 grams Enoki mushrooms, trimmed and gently wiped clean
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce I used Sambal Oelek
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp raw caster sugar
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced to garnish
- 1/4 fried shallots to garnish
Fill a large saucepan a quarter way up and put over high heat to come to the boil. Reduce the heat and place the cut eggplant in to steamers (I used two stackable bamboo steamers) and place over the boiling water to steam for 20 minutes or until tender but not falling apart. Remove from the heat.
Heat the peanut oil in a wok or cast iron skillet over medium to high heat and add the garlic, ginger, spring onions, chilli and hoisin sauce and stir-fry until fragrant. (Be careful of oil spatter)
Reduce the heat to medium and deglaze the wok or skillet with the Shaoxing wine and add the soy sauce and sugar. Add the cooked eggplant to the wok and continue to cook for another 2 minutes or until the eggplant begins to brown slightly. Add the lentils, vegetable stock and enoki mushrooms and cook until the sauce thickens, around 3 minutes.
Serve the stir-fry on it's own with the finely sliced shallots and fried shallots. It can also be served over rice or quinoa.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1135mg | Potassium: 685mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2.6mg