Tahini Caramel Black Bean Brownies
Gooey, rich, chocolatey and wonderfully wicked, these vegan Tahini Caramel Black Bean Brownies have revolutionised my brownie game.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 33 minutes
Black Bean Brownie
- 150 grams 5.3 oz sunflower seed meal or simply grind around 155 grams of sunflower seeds in a processor to create around 150 grams of meal
- 80 grams 2.82 oz cocoa
- 200 grams 7 oz raw sugar
- 10 grams .35 oz or 2 teaspoons baking powder, gluten free if required
- 1 x 400 gram 14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 120 ml 4.06 fl oz nut-free dairy-free milk
- 150 ml 5.07 fl oz coconut oil, melted
- 60 ml 2.03 fl oz apple sauce
- 7.5 ml 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 40 grams 1.4 oz vegan chocolate buds (small if you can get them or larger ones but give them a rough chop)
- a good pinch of sea salt
- 40 ml tahini 2 tablespoons AUS
- 50 ml maple syrup 2 1/2 tablespoons AUS
- 5 ml 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
Line a small brownie pan (27.9 cm x 17.8cm) with baking paper.
Combine the sunflower meal, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Combine all the wet ingredients, other than the coconut oil, in a blender and blend until smooth.
Add the coconut oil and blend until combined.
Stir the wet ingredients in to the dry.
Add the chocolate buttons and fold through.
Pour the brownie batter in the pan.
To make the tahini caramel, whisk the ingredients together in a bowl.
To create the swirls, spoon dollops of the caramel on top of the brownie mixture a few centimetres apart from each other. I spooned two dollops wide and four dollops long.
Using the end of a teaspoon, run a line from the first caramel dollop lengthways down to the last dollop on its line. Repeat with the second line. Each line should look like a row of hearts.
Swirl the spoon diagonally from one corner of the brownie pan to the other. You should get some nice swirls but be careful not to overdo it or you will loose the light/dark effect.
Bake the brownie for around 33 minutes or until cooked around the edge with a slight wobble in the centre.
Remove the brownie from the oven to cool completely. For best results, refrigerate after cooling for at least two hours. Overnight is better.
Cut in to squares to serve.