Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Beetroot Cakes
On the days you just need cake, these wicked vegan chocolate beetroot cakes with chocolate avocado frosting are a sweet and rich treat minus the guilt. (GF)
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 23 minutes
Total Time 33 minutes
Servings 12 cakes
Beetroot and Chocolate Cakes
- 200 grams raw beetroot peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed meal blitz a scant 1/2 cup of seeds in the processor until the consistency of almond meal (around 55 grams)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar + 1 tablespoon optional if you like it a bit sweeter - around 80 grams total
- 1/2 cup apple sauce 125 ml
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk 125 ml
- 1/2 cup cacao or cocoa powder 60 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 8 grams (gluten-free if required)
- 1/4 cup olive oil 60ml
- pinch sea salt
Chocolate Avocado Frosting
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp cacao or cocoa around 45 - 50 grams
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup 40 - 60 ml
- pinch sea salt
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C and grease a 12-pan muffin or cupcake pan.
Grate the beetroot and place it in a large mixing bowl with the other cake ingredients.
Mix until just combined and spoon evenly among the greased cake moulds.
Bake in the oven for 20 -23 minutes or until cooked through (a skewer should come away clean from the centre)
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out to cool completely.
To make the avocado frosting, place the avocados in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the cacao or cocoa, two tablespoons of maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt.
Process until smooth and taste. If the avocado is still coming through add the third tablespoon of maple and a tiny bit more cocoa. Process to combine.
Fill a piping bag with the frosting and pipe on to each cake before serving.
If you would like the frosting sweeter, add a tablespoon of icing sugar.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 27mg | Potassium: 563mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 93IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 3mg