These Sweet Georgia Vegan Blondies are gooey, caramely bars of brownie goodness.
Angela at Oh She Glows has a recipe for vegan brownies two-ways which, I think is the bee’s knees and its elbows too. I have made these rich, chocolatey, perfect little cakes so many times I could make them blindfolded. These caramel brownies are based on Angela’s original recipe but I have tweaked it to create a vegan blondie that is a nutty, gooey, drool-inducing bite. Today is a good day.
I am not going to say these Sweet Georgie Vegan Blondies are healthy, but I figure sometimes the soul needs nourishment too. I think any food that makes you smile, can’t be bad. I have substituted the original all-purpose flour for wholemeal flour and used coconut instead of cocoa. A wee note, when substituting wholemeal flour, use less. Normally 3/4 cup of wholemeal flour to 1 cup of flour works but sometimes a little experimentation is needed. More liquid also helps. But, you don’t have to think about that today, I’ve done all the experimenting for you. I am a good friend.
One of these Sweet Georgia Vegan Blondies is never enough.
Sweet Georgia Blondies
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 flax egg or regular flax egg = 1 tbs ground flaxseed + 3.5 tbs water, leave for a few minutes
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or regular
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter I haven't tested this, but you may be able to omit this but I would increase the butter measure too
- 1 1/4 cup coconut or an unrefined sugar preferable caramel to taste
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans optional
- 1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate nibs
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Line a brownie tray with parchment or line a bread pan. I used a bread pan because I wanted height rather than girth.
- Combine wholemeal flour, almond meal, coconut, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a heat proof bowl or saucepan melt the vegan butter and cocoa butter together. Remove from heat and whisk in the coconut sugar, almond milk, flax egg and vanilla until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold until combined. Add chopped pecans and chocolate nibs before spooning batter in to the lined pan. It's a dry-ish batter so don't worry. Bake in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until the top is cracked but there is still a little give underneath when you press with your fingers.
- Remove from the oven and WALK AWAY. Allow to completely cool before removing from pan, cutting and eating in one sitting.