Made with ripe juicy tomatoes, a handful of bold spices and powerhouse chia seeds, this Spicy Tomato and Chia Relish is not only wonderfully delicious, it is pretty darn healthy. Want relish in under 20 minutes? You’re in the right place.
I have a confession to make. I am seduced by vegetables. Well, produce really because I can be easily swayed by a wanton fruit too. The farmers market and grocer often sees me buying produce I don’t need because they look and smell so darn good. Have you noticed that perfectly ripe vine tomatoes smell a little like basil? So good. So, that is how I found myself having to create recipes for the random fruit and vegetables I pick up in my travels. Today I have an extra kilogram of tomatoes and half an hour to spare. The beauties are tipping in to slightly too soft territory so relish is a great user upper. This super quick spicy tomato and chia relish is delicious – s little spicy, a little sweet.
I don’t make jams and relishes often but I do love the idea of it. My strawberry chilli jam recipe is one of my favourites but it is made in the traditional way calling for sugar and time. Today we are using chia seeds in this spicy tomato and chia relish to halve the cooking time and double the health benefits.
WHY YOU SHOULD BE EATING CHIA SEEDS
I am using chia seeds to quickly thicken my spicy tomato and chia relish but the bonus is they are little nutrient powerhouses. Check it out:
- Eating 28 grams or one ounce of chia seeds each day provides 18% of your daily calcium needs, 27% of phosphorus and 30% of manganese
- Chia seeds provide omega-3s, calcium, phosphorus, and fiber.
- They also contain iron, antioxidants and protein
Sourced from Medical News Today.
While I am pumped at all the goodness, I love using chia seeds as a natural thickener. I use them in my one-pot spaghetti with tomato, olives and lemon and they create such a wonderful thick sauce that just hugs the pasta. Today they are adding volume to our spicy tomato and chia relish and cutting our cooking down to under 20-minutes. Love.
Whether you are a relish aficionado or an enthusiastic experimenter like myself, this full-bodied spiced tomato spread is sure to please. Quick, healthy and so delicious. Enjoy.
Learn how to sterilise jars at BBC Goof Food.
Quick Spicy Tomato and Chia Relish
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground celery seed
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 kg vine-ripened tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- Sterilise two jars and lids (I used 2 x 500 ml) by washing in a hot dishwasher or use the method I found on the BBC Good Food.https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-sterilise-jars
- Wash your jars and the lids in hot soapy water, but do not dry them. Instead, leave them to stand upside down on a roasting tray while they’re still wet.
- Blitz onion and garlic in a food processor until well chopped. In a large saucepan (with a lid for later) heat oil and sauté onions and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add spices and stir. Add tomatoes, vinegar, sea salt and maple. Stir and add water.
- Over low to medium heat, cook for around 10 minutes or until the onion is soft. Test for taste, season or sweeten if necessary.
- Add chia seeds and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes before turning off heat and popping the saucepan lid on.
- Allow to cool before spooing in to the sterilised jars. Pop on the lid and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.