Last updated on January 30th, 2020 at 10:58 pm
I know what you're thinking. Hummus and pasta? I too was a sceptic but this odd combination works like a dream and makes a fantastic 15-minute weekday meal. I've loaded up a basic hummus recipe with buckets of spinach to create a wonderfully green, protein rich pasta dish. This spinach hummus pasta recipe is quick, tasty and full of good things.
Quick and dirty weekday meals are my salvation lately. My 3-ingredient vegan zucchini soup and walk away chickpea tomato and spinach curry are on constant rotation. The husband is travelling a lot for work lately and our little person is having trouble finding her feet at kindergarten. Our girl is a sensitive soul and while she is usually pretty together for a 4 year-old, she has days where the weight of other's emotions falls heavily on her small shoulders. I love her compassion and immense empathy - she cried for hours when she learned David Bowie died - but I also know it can be tiring on a little heart. Today we are home together having a day without all the noise and excitement of kindy.
However, having a day with small people doesn't leave room for too much else. These tiny people take up so much space, physically and figuratively! Thank the stars for quick and dirty dinners.
I wish I could lay claim to this bit of culinary genius but hummus and pasta is not a new thing. It's been floating around the internet for a year or so now but I have been stubbornly resistant to trying it. I am an idiot. There are some gorgeous recipes out there like Green Evi's hummus and asparagus recipe or Amber from Quit Good Food's 10-minute recipe with spinach and zoodles. I should have made this combination sooner.
It's a bit of a no-brainer, combining two of the best ingredients together in a single meal that takes less than 15-minute minutes. It will completely change up your mid-week meals. Hummus (for something a little different try my roasted garlic artichoke hummus)+ Pasta = Happy Campers. It can be eaten cold and if you really want to sonic speed your meal prep, use store-bought hummus and blend it up with the spinach and a little water. Simples.
You may also like these other quick and easy meal ideas:
- 1 - Pot Creamy Tomato Vegan Pasta
- Crispy Tofu Lemongrass Bowl
- Swiss Chard and Pimentøn Stew with Lentils
Spinach Hummus Pasta Recipe
- 400g cooked chickpeas
- 2 garlic clove chopped
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 juice of 1 lemon plus more for serving
- 3 cups baby spinach
- chilli flakes
- 300 g egg-free spaghetti
- pinch sea salt
- pinch chilli flakes
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan optional
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil over medium heat and add a good pinch of sea salt.
- Add pasta to the water to cook.
- Meanwhile, add the chickpeas, oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt and spinach to a blender and blend to a hummus consistency. You may need to add a little water and stop the blending to push the spinach down.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente, strain it in a colander, keeping a little of the cooking water. Transfer the pasta back to your cooking pot. Stir through several heaped spoons of the hummus and a little cooking water if necessary. Add the parmesan and chilli flakes with a splash of lemon juice and a crack of pepper to serve.