I know what you’re thinking. Hummus and pasta? I too was a sceptic but this odd combination works like a dream and makes a fantastic 15-minute weekday meal. I’ve loaded up a basic hummus recipe with buckets of spinach to create a wonderfully green, protein rich pasta dish. This spinach hummus pasta recipe is quick, tasty and full of good things.
These quick and dirty weekday meals are my salvation lately. The husband is travelling a lot for work lately and our little person is having trouble finding her feet at kindergarten. Our girl is a sensitive soul and while she is usually pretty together for a 4 year-old, she has days where the weight of other’s emotions falls heavily on her small shoulders. I love her compassion and immense empathy – she cried for hours when she learned David Bowie had died – but I also know it can be tiring on a little heart. Today we are home together having a day without all the noise and excitement of kindy.
However, having a day with small people doesn’t leave room for too much else. These tiny people take up so much space, physically and figuratively! Thank the stars for quick and dirty dinners.
I wish I could lay claim to this bit of culinary genius but hummus and pasta is not a new thing. It’s been floating around the internet for a year or so now but I have been stubbornly resistant to trying it. I am an idiot. There are some gorgeous recipes out there like Green Evi’s hummus and asparagus recipe or Amber from Quit Good Food’s 10-minute recipe with spinach and zoodles. I should have made this combination sooner.
It’s a bit of a no-brainer, combining two of the best ingredients together in a single meal that takes less than 15-minute minutes. It will completely change up your mid-week meals. Hummus + Pasta = Happy Campers. It can be eaten cold and if you really want to sonic speed your meal prep, use bought hummus and blend it up with the spinach and a little water. Simples.
You may also like these other quick and easy meal ideas:
- 1 – Pot Creamy Tomato Vegan Pasta
- 3 – Ingredient Vegan Zucchini Soup
- Crispy Tofu Lemongrass Bowl
- Swiss Chard and Pimentøn Stew with Lentils
Spinach Hummus Pasta Recipe
- 400g cooked chickpeas
- 2 garlic clove chopped
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 juice of 1 lemon plus more for serving
- 3 cups baby spinach
- chilli flakes
- 300 g egg-free spaghetti
- pinch sea salt
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan optional
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil over medium heat and add a good pinch of sea salt.
- Add pasta to the water to cook.
- Meanwhile, add the chickpeas, oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt and spinach to a blender and blend to a hummus consistency. You may need to add a little water and stop the blending to push the spinach down.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente, strain it in a colander, keeping a little of the cooking water. Transfer the pasta back to your cooking pot. Stir through several heaped spoons of the hummus and a little cooking water if necessary. Add the parmesan and chilli flakes with a splash of lemon juice and a crack of pepper to serve.