If I had to choose a favourite cuisine Japanese would be right up there. Yes, definitely Japanese. And Mexican. And maybe Greek. Who am I kidding, I just like food in general but I am partial to the lightness of Japanese food. I like the balance. Every ingredient has a purpose, a small part in creating a clean and harmonious bite. Even the cooking of Japanese food makes me feel centred and purposeful. This sesame tofu with soba noodles and green tea broth recipe is inspired by Japan but is so simple anyone in any kitchen can prepare it. Tofu, noodles and a cup of tea…simple.
Served at room temperature, Sesame Tofu with Soba Noodles and Green Tea Broth makes a light, balanced and tasty bowl anytime of the day.
These noodles look a little fancy, but they couldn’t be easier to make. If you can brew a cup of tea, you’re halfway to creating the broth, and the tofu, it’s a dip and roll kind of thing. Simples.
Sesame Tofu, Soba Noodles and Green Tea Broth
- 150 grams medium tofu drained
- 1 tablespoon tamari + 1 tablespoon for broth
- 1 tablespoon rice syrup or maple syrup + 1 tablespoon for broth
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 packet soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 cup brewed green tea
- 1 thumb fresh ginger peeled and halved
- pinch sea salt
- small handful chives thinly sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C and line a baking tray with parchment.
- In a saucepan bring the brewed and strained green tea, 1 tablespoon of rice syrup, 1 tablespoon of tamari, ginger and sea salt to the boil for three minutes. Set aside.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of tamari, 1 tablespoon of rice syrup and the sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Combine sesame seeds in a separate bowl
- Slice tofu in to even sized cubes.
- Dip tofu in to tamari mix and roll in sesame seeds. Place on lined baking tray.
- Bake tofu for 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Cook soba noodles per packet instructions, rinse with cold water and drain.
- After removing the tofu from oven allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place a serving of soba noodles in a bowl and carefully place the tofu on top. Ladle green tea broth around the outer edges of the bowl until you can just see it through the noodles.
- Spoon remaining tofu marinade on the tofu and sprinkle with chives.