Last updated on June 8th, 2020 at 04:31 pm
Who wants to spend a party stuck in a kitchen? Not this little black duck. These roasted radish mini bagels are pretty enough to serve to guests but simple enough for a light lunch. With wonderfully roasted pink radishes tossed in lemon zest and dill these mini bagels are ready for double duty.
Don’t say it…don’t say it….dang, you said it, didn’t you? It’s almost the end of the year. I know! I’ve tried so hard to bury my head in the sand but the festive season is almost here and as usual I am completely unprepared.
In my defence it has been a tricky year – my Mum’s health hasn’t been good and life is full steam ahead with my 5 year-old. But, who am I kidding? I am not terribly prepared any year so…
I do, however, have these gorgeous mini bagels. Ready in a pinch when friends pop over, these little rounds are so tasty and picture perfect. Look at the colour of those radishes!
Why You Should Be Eating Roasted Radishes
Radishes are delicious and a great source of Vitamin C. Plus they have antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and they contain a goodly does of antioxidants. Raw radishes, however, pack a flavour punch that may not be suit everyone but roasted radishes are different.
Roasted radishes are gentle. Like garlic and onions, roasting radishes tempers the heat and makes them smoother and not so in-your-face. I pair them with congee in my Silky Mushroom Congee with Roasted Radishes and they balance each other beautifully. Here we are balancing them with smooth cream cheese and it just works.
While I’ve chosen to use mini bagels for my little appetisers you could use vegan blinis, french bread rounds or seeded crackers. I can’t go past a good bagel though but that’s me.
I also used a store bought vegan cream cheese but if you wanted to take the extra time, my clever friend Gena at The Full Helping has a 5 Ingredient Tofu Cream Cheese that will rock your world. It’s super quick – probably quicker than going to the store and buying cream cheese – and she has some lovely variations.
For me, I’m keeping it super simple. Lightly toasted mini bagels, silky vegan cream cheese and delicate roasted radishes with lemon and dill. Ready in around 20 minutes they are an easy and delicious vegan appetiser that will certainly be a star at my next event. Or you know…lunch with a good book.
If you like this recipe, please check out my cookbook. Great Vegan Meals for the Carnivorous Family is full of simple, carnivore-approved family recipes.
Entertaining Roasted Radish Mini Bagels
- 2 cups small radishes halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup dill fronds
- two pinches of sea salt
- 1/2 cup cream cheese vegan
- 5 mini bagels halved
- cracked pepper
- 1/3 cup micro greens or small arugula leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F) and line a roasting tray with grease-proof paper.
- Wash the baby radishes to remove any grit and trim the green tips before halving the bulb. Add them to a medium mixing bowl and toss them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the lemon zest and a good pinch of sea salt.
- Pop the tray in the oven for 15 minutes or until the radishes are beginning to caramelise around the edges.
- Once cooked remove them from the oven and allow them to sit and cool to slightly warm or to room temperature.
- Slice the mini bagels in half and lightly toast them in the toaster.
- Smear each half with a good dollop of vegan cream cheese. Toss the chopped dill fronds through the radishes and spoon a small amount on to each bagel half. Top with micro greens, more sea salt, a good crack of pepper and a touch of olive oil. Add a little more lemon zest if desired.