Last updated on October 24th, 2019 at 01:50 am
These lemon walnut snack balls are ticking all the boxes for me.
OK, so we’re are in to February and I my mouth is set in a grim line of determination to stick with my New Year’s commitment to better eating. So far, so good. Our main meals are very healthy, it is the snacking I have to watch. I am a grazer. I am raising a grazer and I married one too. So, with that in mind I have been playing with some healthy noshes to keep us on the healthy express train.
Snack balls are all the rage and I usually indulge in a chocolate concoction of some kind but today I feel like something different. These lemon walnut balls have the sweetness of dates and coconut, the earthiness of walnuts with a good kick of lemon to finish. They are so good and just a little different.
I love a treat that is whipped up in literally minutes. Twenty minutes in the fridge and these delicious, zesty, sweet babies are ready to go.
An alternative to nuts for kids’ lunch boxes is to substitute the walnuts for another cup of sunflower seeds or pepitas.
Lemon Walnut Snack Balls
- 8 medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut plus extra for rolling
- 2 tbs coconut oil melted
- 3 tbs black or white chia seeds
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs of water if needed
- Place dates in a food processor and blitz until they start to come together in a ball.
- Add all ingredients, other than the rolling coconut, and blitz until just coming together.
- Using clean, wet hands roll mixture in to even-sized balls.
- Sprinkle additional coconut (add some lemon zest if you like!) on to a plate and roll each ball to cover.
- Place on parchment paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.