With the added goodness of oatmeal, this recipe for vegan oatmeal pancakes with turmeric spiced delivers deliciously fluffy, healthy and downright tasty breakfast pancakes.
I am so happy with these oatmeal pancakes. They are fluffy, slightly sweet with a smidge of nuttiness from the oatmeal which, also delivers a hefty fibre dose. While I love straight-up traditional pancakes, making them healthier is as simple as adding a few choice ingredients.
WHY YOU SHOULD BE ADDING OATMEAL TO YOUR VEGAN PANCAKES
Besides being a little bit delicious – I’ve even add oatmeal to ice-cream – oatmeal offers an abundance of good things to make your meals healthier. Oatmeal –
- provides antioxidants
- helps stabilise blood sugar levels
- is low in calories but provides a smorgasbord of vitamins and minerals
- may help support healthy cholesterol levels
- relieves constipation
Source: Medical News Today
Besides all the healthy stuff, oatmeal adds a little body to vegan pancakes. As plant-based pancakes don’t use eggs, us vegans rely on baking powder to lift pancakes; adding oatmeal adds a little oomph. These vegan oatmeal pancakes are just the right amount of fluffiness to body – and the kid’s won’t even know the difference.
SPICE UP YOUR MAPLE
Besides being completely on trend – think golden lattes, ice-cream and cheesecakes – turmeric’s golden hue delivers oodles of health benefits. Long before it found its way in to our lattes, turmeric has been used as a healing food in the ancient Indian system of medicine Ayurveda. Curcumin, a compound found in turmeric offers powerful anti-inflammatory benefits As such turmeric is said to help a range of conditions, including flatulence, jaundice, toothache, bruises, chest pain, and colic.
Source: ABC News
Adding turmeric to maple syrup is a delicious way to add a little goodness to your breakfast. I also like to add a smidge of ginger too. Why not?
Add some sweet peaches and chopped walnuts and I am officially food crushing on these oatmeal vegan pancakes. The fact they are a little healthier than your average stack is just a happy bonus. Enjoy.
Fluffy Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 fresh peach sliced in to wedges
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup coconut yoghurt
- Combine maple, turmeric and ginger in a sauce pan and heat slowly, stirring to dissolve. Set aside.
- Combine pancake ingredients in a large bowl and mix in to a batter. Allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken the batter.
- Heat a large skillet and a dollop of vegan buttery spread . Add two tablespoons of pancake mix to each pancake. Cook for around 3 minutes, or until bubbles appear and flip. Cook the pancake on the other side for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Serve with sliced peaches, chopped walnuts, maple and a good dollop of coconut yoghurt.