These Chilli Corn Vegan Tacos combine spicy grilled corn with smooth “cheesy” sauce, creamy avocado, black beans, quinoa and zesty tomato. Inspired by traditional street corn, this version is loaded with delicious healthy goodness.
In the many years BPBE (before plant-based eating) I loved Mexican cooking and one of my favourite things to eat was Mexican Street Corn or Elote. Spicy grilled corn ears rolled in a tangy mayonnaise/sour cream, dairy-coma inducing cheese sauce. Good times. I still love the Mexican but the dairy is out. Having said that, I have come across some vegan recipes for Elote from Kristie at The Mostly Vegan and Margaret at The Plant Philosophy. Phew, thank goodness for inventive vegans.
This Chilli Corn Vegan Taco recipe is Elote-inspired but packs a huge nutritional punch. With a cheese sauce made with sweet potato, cauliflower and cashews this version is health and tastebud friendly.
Add to the mix quinoa and black beans cooked in garlic, fresh tomato and coriander salsa and creamy avocado and this little taco is a protein happy, vegetable laden bite of yum. And mostly toddler friendly.
In my efforts to get our little one to eat better, I am ever creative with my recipes hiding as many vegetables as I can. While the corn in these chilli corn vegan tacos was too spicy, our small hooligan did eat tortilla chips with the “cheese” sauce (cauliflower and sweet potato), the salsa (tomato, coriander and onion) and the avocado. Not bad.
I love the versatility of tacos, they are easily tweaked depending on taste. While we used a store bought chipotle chilli sauce for this cook, we’ve had the chilli corn many times with siracha sauce. Don’t like black beans? Swap them out for kidney beans or leave them out altogether. A mango salsa would add a sweet twist and work beautifully with the spicy corn and lime. Whatever your taste, these chilli corn vegan tacos are a great starting point for the perfect healthy shared meal. Enjoy.
Chilli Corn Vegan Tacos
- 3 corn ears stripped and cleaned
- 1/4 cup 60ml vegan (or regular) butter
- 1/8 cup 30ml + 1 tablespoon (15ml) chilli sauce (siracha or chipotle)
- a handful of fresh coriander finely choppedVegan Parmesan
- 1/4 cup 60mlraw cashews
- 1 tablespoon 15ml nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon 3ml sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoons garlic or onion powder"Cheese Sauce"
- 1 cup 250ml cooked cauliflower
- 1 cup 250ml sweet potato
- 1/2 cup 125ml cashews, raw
- 1/8 cup 30ml apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons 60ml nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup 160ml soy or almond milk
- 1/2 125ml cup water
- 1 tablespoon 15ml smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon 7.5ml cayenne pepper (optional)
- sea salt to tasteBlack Beans and Quinoa
- 1 cup 250ml cooked quinoa
- 1 400 gram can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- sea saltTomato Salsa
- 1 small firm tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 spanish onion finely chopped
- a small handful fresh coriander finely chopped
- sea salt10 corn tortillas
fresh lime segments
additional chilli sauce (optional)
- To prepare the cheese sauce, combine ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Put in a sauce bottle to make pouring easier.
- To make the parmesan, combine the ingredients in a food processor and process to a rough breadcrumb-like consistency.
- To make the black beans, put a small saucepan on the heat with a small amount of oil. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the quinoa and black beans and heat through, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- To make the corn, combine the chilli butter by combining the butter and chilli sauce in a bowl. Combine well.
- Pre-heat a griddle and coat the corn ears in the chilli butter.
- Place the corn on the griddle pan and cook each side for around 6 minutes each.
- Meanwhile, combine the salsa ingredients in a bowl.
- When the corn is cooked through and slightly blackened, remove from the heat and place on a plate.
- Cover the corn in a good squirt of the cheese sauce and sprinkle liberally with parmesan, turning the corn as you go. Add some chopped coriander.
- When cool to touch, stand the corn on its end (on a chopping board) and remove the kernels by slicing downwards with a sharp knife. Be careful.
- Prepare the tortillas as per the packet instructions.
- To assemble the tacos, place a tortilla on a plate and smear with a good slice of avocado. Follow with the black beans and quinoa, a good spoon of the chilli corn, salsa and a good squeeze of lime. Add some more cheese sauce and extra chilli sauce if you like.