My last post featured a deliciously decadent but super simple Vegan Chocolate Gingerbread Bundt Cake and today we have the accompanying Vegan Brandy Butterscotch Sauce. I have written a separate post for this sauce because firstly, it deserves its own space because it is wonderful and secondly, this sauce not only goes with the bundt cake but also over ice-cream, poached pears or apples…
This vegan brandy butterscotch sauce is a lovely, boozy and versatile syrup that is ready in minutes with only five ingredients.
I could wax lyrical about this sauce but I am simply going to leave you with the recipe today. Well, I’ll wax a little but keep it short.
When I created this recipe I was intent on creating a butterscotch flavour without coconut undertones. I love my coconut milk and it is a must in any plant-eaters pantry but I was looking for a little saucepan of nostalgia. I wanted a true sweet brandy sauce and unless my taste buds deceive me, I got it. I used half coconut milk and half soy milk with unprocessed sugar, vanilla and brandy to create a wonderfully sweet, silky and frankly boozy sauce.
For those wanting a little Christmas spirit in their butterscotch sauce or as a special something over poached fruit or ice-cream, this vegan brandy butterscotch sauce is an intoxicating little brew made sweeter by its simplicity. Enjoy.
Vegan Brandy Butterscotch Sauce
A completely intoxicating and delicious vegan brandy butterscotch sauce that is ready in minutes.
- 165 ml coconut milk
- 165 ml almond or soy milk (I used soy)
- 1 cup (250ml) rapadura or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) brandy
- Combine the milks and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat and allow sauce to simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add vanilla and brandy and simmer for another minute or two.
- Allow to cool. The sauce will thicken as it cools.